Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Radio Goo Goo...Radio Ga Ga





Jill!!! I love it! You were sucked in by the power that is The Flip Cup! I too have surrenderd to that minx...so fun! My experience was during my clerkship and we had a softball game against the judges at the end of the summer. After the game the clerks started a game of flip cup...I was surprisingly good?! I used Twisted Tea (Don't judge...its delic!) and became the anchor of my team. Don't be ashamed...shhhh shhhh...it's ok...hush....Didn't Leslie have a quaters tournament in college?! I think I remember her saying they had t-shirts! I love that!

Oh and yes, "Whatever Gets You Through the Night" reminds me of you too! I need to put that on me i-tunes. Wonder what that recording session was like with J.Le and E.Jo? Was that song made during Lennon's "lost weekend" in LA when he split with Yoko for a bit? I will have to ask Will about that one. Check out this live at Madison Square Garden November of 1974 YouTube video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuVCc6Vat8U&feature=related

Speaking of great music, I was driving to work the other day and was flipping through radio stations because my normal NPR listen was practically making me drive off the road (yawn)...I happened to catch one of my all time favorite songs "Vapour Trail" (I'm not trying to be pretensious...they are Brits) by Ride! Who the hell plays that on the radio?!! I was thrilled of course and was trying to figure out why it was on. Sometimes I can catch good songs near Easton and Allentown because there are a lot of colleges there...but at this point I was pretty far into NJ. Turns out it is a station from Seattle called KEXP. There are plans for KEXP to somewhat merge with WNYE which is a public radio station out of NYC...hence why I heard it...read below from Wikipedia for further detail:

In August of 2007, it was learned that station management of a New York City public radio station, WNYE, was planning a radical overhaul of their programming, moving to an all music format. The plans, detailed in a February 11 2008 press release, are to partner with KEXP, and move to a simulcast and music format branded as "Radio Liberation."

On 24 March 2008, KEXP DJ John Richards'(a.k.a., John in the Morning) broadcast was heard on 91.5 FM in New York City for the first time as part of Radio Liberation. Radio Liberation is the collaboration between KEXP and Radio New York (91.5 FM) ) to introduce NY listeners to more independent music. The collaboration will simulcast one part of KEXP’s original broadcasting and three originally produced programs. John Richards’ morning show is the only program that will be simulcast on the dial in both Seattle and NYC. The other programs (Wake Up, Music That Matters, and Mo’Glo) will be produced specifically for Radio New York, but not available to Seattle or online listeners.

According to the Radio Liberation microsite, “this partnership makes it possible for KEXP to reach another 14 million terrestrial listeners in New York.” KEXP has a long-standing relationship with New York, broadcasting live from there a couple times a year. In addition to information about the project, the microsite includes a list of NY concert events, Song of the Day Podcasts, and album reviews.

Additionally, "beginning this June, John Richards will split time between Seattle and New York, broadcasting his show live from both locations throughout the year."

John Richards, who frequently creates playlists based on themes opened the first Radio Liberation broadcast with the following songs:
Pixies “Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)” (his self professed favorite band)
Harvey Danger “Pike St./Park Slope” (Seattle band singing about Seattle and Brooklyn)
Death Cab for Cutie “Marching Bands of Manhattan” (NYC reference)


The show I actually heard was John in the Morning and it was fantastic. Really wonderful mix. It made my drive to work soooooooo much better AND introduced me to new bands AND reminded me of some old favorites. The man's favorite band is the Pixies!!! Need I say more?!

If near the New York area-you can tune in to 91.5. If not in the area (Jill!) you can go to their website to hear (it is streamed online)! Plus they list John in Morning's playlists! Such good stuff:

http://kexp.org/home.asp

No comments: